GP National Appraiser Conference
The Revalidation Support Unit's annual GP National Appraiser Conference has been an essential part of delivering training and support to all GP Appraisers in Wales on various aspects of appraisal and revalidation.
The first training day was run in 2004 at The Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells. It focused on the role of our Appraisal Coordinators and group discussion on previous versions of the form 3 and form 4.
Since then, the training day has grown and is extremely well attended by the majority of our GP appraisers every year. The event is normally held each summer and although the venues have varied across Wales, the large majority of them have been held in The Metropole Hotel.
National Appraiser Conference 2017
The last GP Appraiser Conference was held at the Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells on 30th June 2017. Over 93 delegates attended the event which included over 60 GP Appraisers and 8 secondary care colleagues, with the remaining numbers made up of Appraisal Coordinators, GMC representatives and Wales Deanery office staff.
The event included a key note speech delivered by Dr Susi Caesar (Medical Director for Revalidation, RCGP) which focused on the importance and value of appraisal with a Q&A session at the end.
A mix of GP Appraisers, Appraisal Coordinators and representatives from the GMC facilitated interactive workshops for the delegates, which prompted group discussions throughout the day. These workshops included:
- Quality Improvement Activities
- Adding Value, Challenge and Reflection
- GMC Supporting Information
- New MARS workshop
- Maintaining Trust - The Forgotten Domain
- Equality and Diversity
The feedback received from delegates about the day was very positive. Highlights included:
- “Great inspiring key note lecture, GMC talk was also very good and contained new knowledge – both those made appraisers feel part of a very nice bigger picture”
- “Excellent sessions relevant to appraisal”
- “Great mix of relevant areas – lots of learning points”
- “Great atmosphere all day and good organisation"
- "Susi’s presentation was inspiring, it’s reassuring to see that RCGP has appointed someone who appears committed to the principles of appraisal to this role”
The next GP Appraiser Conference is taking place on Friday 22nd June 2018 at The Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells. For further information on this year’s event, please contact the GP Appraisal team on AppraisalOfficer@cardiff.ac.uk